From Representation to Signifier

Phase 1: Quotidian Object
The first thing I looked for was maybe a computer keyboard and decided to try a vintage 1984 Macintosh keyboard but then I thought that that might not be quotidian enough. So, I thought about maybe what is my everyday object is and I came up with glasses because I wear glasses everyday. And then I also thought about light. Everyone uses light everyday. I couldn't decide between glasses or light so I am going to go with a fluorescent light bulb because without light, there would be nothing.


Phase 2: Illustrate
Using my portable photo studio, I took various pictures of two different types of light bulbs.


I took pictures of a fluorescent bulb.


And just in cause I decided to go with an old style bulb, I took pictures of an old, round 25W bulb. Of course, I don't plan on the bulb being red, that's just the only round bulb I have left in the house.



Phase 3 - 6: Thumbnails

 

Final:
Now I've made a TIME Magazine rough draft. I made it posterized because I thought it had to be illustrated completely.

Now, I went back and instead of posterizing I photo-manipulated a new picture for another TIME Magazine rough.

After a couple more prints, I finally finished this project with this.